Friday, August 13, 2010

Coming to you live...

Do you ever dream up an alter ego? Someone fantabulously better, sweeter, fresher and more exciting than you'll ever be?

This blog has got me conjuring up a fantastic alter ego. Given that very few people read me (hey, I've got a few more followers now!) I sometimes imagine I'm a late night radio host. In my fantasy, I have funky straight hair, black as night, and cut to different lengths around my face. I have a nose ring, and wear dark eyeliner and blue eyeshadow. I have fat, sultry lips licked in a juicy pink gloss. My voice is very sexy - deep and comanding. When I talk, people tend to listen.

But, alas, I've been demoted to the late night spot on CKLU, the local rock radio station, for making inappropriate comments about a nitwit listener who called in to request Nickleback.

And so, I ramble into the night, speaking to the shift workers wiling away the hours 'till morn'. I get to play anything I want, and my comments are rarely scrutinized by radio execs...who would be listening anyway? My miniscule, but devoted, group of listeners call in regularly to request songs, which they dedicate to their dearly departed (lovers, that is). These are the loners in life, the ones sipping from the bottle of whiskey, smoke in hand as they slurr their way onto the radio. I hear them all, hear their pain, and play them a song that will get them through the night.

Here's a smooth song to help that whiskey go down..."Fallin and Flyin" by Stephen Bruton:

I was goin’ where I shouldn’t go
seein’ who I shouldn’t see
doin’ what I shouldn’t do
and bein’ who I shouldn’t be

a little voice told me it’s all wrong
another voice told me it’s alright
I used to think I was strong
but lately I just lost the fight

funny how fallin’ feels like flyin’
for a little while
funny how fallin’ feels like flyin’
for a little while

I got tired of bein’ good
started missing that old feeling free
stop actin’ like I thought I should
and went on back to bein’ me

I never meant to hurt no one
I just had to have my way
if there is such a thing as too much fun
this must be the price you pay

funny how fallin’ feels like flyin’
for a little while
funny how fallin’ feels like flyin’
for a little while

you never see it comin’ till it’s gone
it all happens for a reason
even when it’s wrong
especially when it’s wrong

funny how fallin’ feels like flyin’
for a little while
funny how fallin’ feels like flyin’
for a little while

I was goin’ where I shouldn’t go
seein’ who I shouldn’t see
doin’ what I shouldn’t do
and bein’ who I shouldn’t be

1 comment:

  1. I almost don't want to admit this, but I created a version of what I looked like in my pre-teen years. I had "normal" dark hair not weird red hair and no freckles. I actually used to be surprised by what I saw when I looked in the mirror. Eventually I got over it and accepted me for who I am, most of the time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and emails, as most bloggers do! You can reach me by clicking on my "about me" page and sending me an email, or leave me a note below a post and I'll be sure to get back to you!