Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ron

When I created this blog all those months ago, I intended it to be a place where I could write creatively and share my love of music (hence, why it's called the Chickadee "Tweet"). I followed every post with lyrics from some of my favourite songs. Slowly over time, my blog morphed into something new; I began talking more about mothering, and shared my journey into a new job and new interests.

I still like to get back to my love of music, and now that I've figured out how to share YouTube videos on here (it really wasn't hard - I just needed to find the button!) I get to post some of my favourites for you all to listen to! I'm sure there are millions of music-related blogs out there, but my goal is not to review artists or records. It's more about combining what goes on in my everyday life with lyrics and songs. It's all about what's inspiring and moving at a particular moment.

I listened to a great interview with Ron Sexsmith the other day. Everyone has probably heard of Ron, but it was surprising to hear that he's never really gained fame and fortune throughout his career. He's still plodding along, making enough to live comfortably, but without all the perks of stardom. You might think that's a good thing, but he spoke about how discouraging it's been not to be recognized for his accomplishments. And accomplishments he has! Not receiving his first recording contract until 1995 (when he was over 30 years old), Ron has since released 11 albums, and has collaborated with folks like Chris Martin, Elvis Costello, Elton John and Sheryl Crow. He's widely known in the music biz, so it's not surprising to hear him say that he's felt disappointed in the past with his level of success.

We all feel that sense of disappointment sometimes - when we stop and wonder what it's all about. When our kids are ungrateful, or our co-workers overlook our hard work, we wish for more recognition for the things we do.

And so, I would like to recognize Ron today as a super-duper Canadian talent, and someone worth the $15 for his latest album Long Player Late Bloomer. Here's a great release from the ablum, Love Shines:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and emails, as most bloggers do! You can reach me by clicking on my "about me" page and sending me an email, or leave me a note below a post and I'll be sure to get back to you!