Monday, December 5, 2011

Love Doesn't Leave You Black and Blue

National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women is December 6th, and commemorates the 14 women killed at l'Ecole Polythechnique in Montreal in 1989. The CBC archives from that day are chilling to listen to and watch.

Not only is this a day to remember the horrible events of 1989, but it is also a day to recognize the fact that violence against women is taking place here and now, often behind closed doors and away from the media's glare. It is a day to recognize and take action; to work towards prevention and education.

I'd like to share a song with you - a song that has always touched me, and leaves me thinking about the women experiencing abuse in their relationships. This is by Lynn Miles, Ottawa's favourite singer/songwriter...


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this song. What a gem she is. I was happily biking to my home a few blocks away from the Montreal massacre on that terrible day many moons ago. Being there, so close, gives me chills to imagine how one woman is every woman. That could have been any one of us striving to be a strong person in society today. I've received some terrible 'hate' spam on my blog which is also scary - given the title having 'feminist' in it. There are some angry folks out there. Best to focus on love and pray for a gentle path ahead for all of us.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and emails, as most bloggers do! You can reach me by clicking on my "about me" page and sending me an email, or leave me a note below a post and I'll be sure to get back to you!