Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Things I Learned on the Internet

There are many things that I like about the internet. Sometimes I curse the internet – like when my daughter has said “mama?” five times, and I’ve neglected to hear her because I’m looking at my Twitter feed. Or when I stare sadly at the mountainous pile of dishes in my sink, after wasting an hour surfing my fav blogs and websites.

But then there are moments of pure delight, and I wonder how I ever survived without this magical tool. The tool that allows me to get the answer to any question I have; the tool that connects me to amazing, talented people who write articles that lift me up to the heavens; and the tool that gives me insight into the kind of life I want to be living.

My week on the internet has been on of those magic-inducing weeks. Here are some highlights

  • Most of you probably read Glennon Melton’s piece in the Huffington Post. If you didn’t, you must read it. And if you read it, you must head on over to my friend Sara’s blog, and read her response. Both are insightful for any mother (or father!) out there.
  • After that, I did some googling on Glennon, and found her blog Momastery. All I can say is…..wow. This woman has some serious talent in writing. And the weird thing? I’m totally not religious (unless you consider my dabbling in Buddhism to be “religion”; or my token visits to church at Christmas), and yet all of her posts where she talks about God and Jesus give me goosebumps. If I read any more, I may soon be accepting the Lord as my saviour and making a beeline for the church down the street.
  • I discovered that I can make tortillas. Really easily. And it cost me, like, 40 cents. Have you read the ingredients on the tortillas that you buy from the grocery store? It’s like a chemical bomb erupted in your mouth! 
  • And the most important, all-time, best thing I have learned from the internet (this week): I can make my own hair gel using water and flaxseeds. And it WORKS. This is a seriously amazing thing for a curly-haired gal. I have tried bottles of different kinds of spray, moose and hair gel, and only about 5% of them actually work to reduce frizziness. And the chemical bomb I was talking about earlier? Hair gel is a big-ass atom bomb.


What have you learned this week? What has inspired you?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks to pinterest I found the inspiration I needed to decorate the baby's room. I've been looking for ideas but nothing caught my attention. The things I found aren't expensive and the boys can help me get the nursery ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the internet. Going to check out the tortilla recipe right now...since I made fajitas last night and the only thing I didn't make from scratch was the torts and I really want to. Thanks! And the hair gel? That's pure awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips - great links. Thanks so much. I think that the internet is a gift. But also a vortex that can suck you in and away from your life. Good to be mindful about its powers both good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love flax seed gel - and what I love even more is that my teenage son was willing to try it too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and emails, as most bloggers do! You can reach me by clicking on my "about me" page and sending me an email, or leave me a note below a post and I'll be sure to get back to you!