Getting sick in my pre-kid days was a simple, three-step process:
1) Get sick
2) Lie in bed. Moan. Coerce loved ones to take good care of me, bringing cool cloths and ginger ale.
3) Get better.
Getting sick with kids is slightly more complicated:
1) Feel the onset of sickness. Panic slightly.
2) In anticipation of sickness, rearrange all plans - find alternative rides to school, reschedule appointments and cancel all extracurricular activities.
3) Get sick.
4) Keep taking care of kids and cleaning house, despite horrible sickness. Lie on the couch only when children are occupied by the television, lest they try to destroy the house. Carry plastic bags with you for school drop-offs, just in case of sudden bout of vomiting.
5) Husband stays home and lets you lie down. Baby needs to be nursed every 2 hours, and 3 year old bursts in on you several times throughout the day asking for random shit. "Where is that pink shape I cut out yesterday?" To which you answer, "I don't know, asshole, go away!" Or if you're a really Good Mother like I am, you say "I'm not sure, sweetie, why don't you go ask Daddy?"
6) Continue to nurse throughout the night, while running out of the room several times to get sick. Wake baby more often by running out of room.
7) Begin to feel slightly better.
8) Get a sore throat instead.
9) Get woken up in the night by vomiting 3 yo.
10) Seven days later, your family is finally healthy...
Until next week of course!
Hoping your family is happy and healthy this Spring Season!