Thursday, July 7, 2011

Super Mom to the rescue!!

My super duper flying skiis



Oh no, wait!!

Super Mom has crashed and is down for the count!!


Super Mom thought she could fly on skiis, but discovered she could not

Could this situation have been avoided?

YES!!! Let's tell Super Mom how:

1) Know that when you scale a mountain, you somehow need to get back down.

We all have our "to do" lists, which are miles long. We have children, chores, meals to prepare, jobs, and perhaps even second jobs. On top of all this, we want to learn new skills, maintain our social lives, and find time for some volunteering. As we add each new thing to our "mountain" we can find ourselves teetering on the top, unsure of how to make our way back down. The solution? Stick to the straight road, with the rolling hills. Don't make a mountain out of a sweet little mole hill.

2) We can't fly without wings

We are not angels. We have temper tantrums, breakdowns, we yell and throw things. And these un-angelic-like behaviours become habits when we are trying to do too much. In the end, our kids suffer, our partners suffer, and WE suffer. Come to the realization that you are not perfect, and never will be. But you CAN minimize said uncontrollable behaviours by taking one half hour each day to: shut down, log off and go out. Take a walk, read a book under a tree, or light some candles and soak in the tub.

3) The path you take must be your own

In the blogosphere, we can see all sorts of snapshots of other families' lives, which look charming and wholesome in light of our messy, muddled existence. I often wonder if I'd be a better mother if I knew how to sew/knit or organize super fun activites each day. But I've come to the realization that I need to do my own thing, and that my child will grow up to love our special path (except between the ages of 13 and 19, when she will hate me and talk about me with her therapist) - if we all think back, don't we remember the great memories we have with our own mothers?

4) We must learn that when we love, we open ourselves up to loss

As a mother, you will lose a lot. You will lose time, energy, brain cells, and perhaps even your dignity for a moment or two (like the time you burst into tears, stomped your foot and slammed the bedroom door). You may lose friends who are not on the same page as you, and who knows, you might even lose your child in the grocery store some day (but find them again a few terrifying seconds later). Despite all this loss, the love you have for your child and your family will add oodles of joy to your life, and you don't have to be a Super Mom to appreciate this.

Therefore, Super Moms of the world, take these lessons with you wherever you go, and remember...

"There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one”
- Jill Churchill

1 comment:

I love comments and emails, as most bloggers do! You can reach me by clicking on my "about me" page and sending me an email, or leave me a note below a post and I'll be sure to get back to you!